Saturday, May 3, 2008

Composer Esa-Pekka Salonen


Available From Amazon HERE

Available from Amazon HERE
These are the two most recent releases by renowned Finnish conducter Esa-Pekka Salonen of the Los Angeles Philharmonic. This releases are modern classical music but its far from the atonal and repetitive compositions ala Steve Reich and others who explore sound in looping mechanical mathematical ways. This is not to say that it doesn't have it's challenges, but there is so much meat here that you are given reason to want to explore and hear the various layers of sounds and instrumentation.

There are vocals here, but they are used as another instrument. I think the fact that some of them are actual words is not the point, I think the use here is strictly as another sound. LA Variations features Dawn Upshaw and Wing on Wing features Anu and Piia Komsi. It remains rooted in symphonic music, but it also has a bit of avant-garde and it has the sweep of orchestral soundtrack. So I don't think it would be worth picking apart except to say that there is a lot of meat here. It's also not studious in the way that say John Adams or Kronos Quartet might be. It more passionate and fluid than that.

Usually, in classical music, I prefer chamber music or I prefer vocal or operatic music and I will shy away from new classical music for the very reason that it comes off as somewhat clinical and even pretentious. This is not that and for those looking for something new with a bit of a challenge and a bit of a swing, I would say look here. From these works, I did explore off to Steven Reich's Different Trains and Electric Counterpoint, Brian Eno's Music For Airports and John Adam's On The Transmigration of Souls. Glad I did... some good stuff to explore.

I like Wing On Wing slightly better than LA Variations, but I would still highly recommend both.

I rate them 4.5 out 5. For taking a chance.

No comments: