Monday, April 21, 2008

Superbad

Well, I finally saw Superbad last night, and I must say I was not impressed. It was mildly funny, but it did not live up to the Apatow hype. I expected more from the man that brought us Anchorman and 40 Year Old Virgin. There were some funny parts. The stand outs were definitely Bill Hader and Seth Rogen as Officers Slater and Michaels. Most people would recognize Rogen as Cal from 40 Year Old Virgin, but not a lot of people know Bill Hader yet. He has started getting some larger rolls lately, but he is a stand out on NBC's SNL. Although SNL has been lagging in consistency the past few seasons, Hader has been a shining star.

The two main stars, Jonah Hill and Michael Cera delivered solid performances, but were hindered by the over use of vulgarity that I can only imagine was used to give us the impression that these two were typical high school seniors. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good use of the f-bomb as much as the next guy, but seriously, they used it like 10 times a sentence. Granted I haven't been a high school senior for more years than I like to think about, but do they really say "f&*#" that much?

The newcomer, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, gave the most believable performance as a high school student. Probably because he was a high school student when he was discovered.

Over all I would give Superbad 3 out of 5 stars. I'm glad I saw it, but not upset that I waited this long to see it. It has a nice message about friendship and what that means to two guys that have grown up together, but are now at a crossroads. Definitely a rent, or wait until its on TV.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really really like Superbad because even though I've been out of high school since '83, I connected with it more as a '70's high school feel. From the clothes and the music to the drug use to the profanity, this hit it on all cylinders. And while it does have one of the grossest scenes of all time, it still had a lot of heart. This was no American Pie. This was a lot more honest and real and more clever when it did go over the top.

"I've got period blood on my pants?" as he jumps around with two tide jugs full of beer... too funny.

I also bought it completely when they didn't cop out at the end, no pun intended... maybe, and they had the two boys talk plainly and openly with each other. The one saying to the other, of all the things I put up with in this world, all I want is my best friend to be honest with me. You never see that in a "teen comedy" and for that I give it a big thumbs up.

Looking forward to "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"!